DIY Tutorial: How to Make a Balloon Arch
Balloon arches are quickly becoming a wedding day must-have, and for good reason. From enchanting ceremony backdrops to welcoming your guests at the reception, this decor piece will really make your ‘I Dos’ pop.
To help you create your own DIY balloon arch, ProFlowers has put together this step-by-step tutorial and video guide. A DIY wedding arch is your chance to tailor every detail according to the two of you and your big day.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started.
You Will Need…
- Balloons – Choose colours and/or patterns to complement your wedding colour scheme or theme
- Balloon Pump – Optional, but will save you time
- Fishing Line – Any size should work, but use clear fishing line so you can’t see it once your arch is assembled
- Blunt Needle
- Low Temperature Glue Gun
- Hooks – Use sticky hooks if you’re worried about damaging the area where you are hanging your balloon arch
- Fresh Flowers and Foliage – Optional, but will add a natural touch
- Clear Packing Tape – For an easy fix if something goes wrong
How to Make…
Watch this video on how to make your balloon arch, or read the step by step instructions below.
1. Draw Your Design
Draw a rough idea of the shape you want your arch to take on. This will help you when assembling it.
2. Blow Up Your Balloons
Blow your balloons up, making them different sizes for variety. Also consider your colour scheme and how you intend to vary the colours when assembling. You could feature a different colour with every balloon, or create small clusters of colours for a more cohesive look.
3. Attach the Needle to Your Fishing Line
Use a traditional knot, but, depending on the size of your fishing line, you may have to knot the line a few times to secure it.
4. Thread the Needle Through the Knot of An Inflated Balloon
Keep your fingers to one side of the knot and be careful when pushing the needle through to avoid pricking your finger.
5. Slide the Balloons Down
Once threaded, slide the balloons all the way down the line, one at a time, until your garland is the desired length.
6. Cut the End of the Fishing Line
After cutting, make sure you tie a knot at the end of the fishing line so your balloons stay put.
7. Put Your Arch Up
Lay out the shape of your arch on the wall or area where you are hanging it using your hooks. Attach the frame of your balloon arch to the hooks.
8. Fill Any Gaps with Smaller Balloons
Using your low temperature glue gun, fill in any holes with smaller balloons to create a fuller arch. A low temperature glue gun you should help you avoid popping balloons, but the metal tip of the gun will still get pretty hot. Avoid touching the balloons with the tip of the glue gun as they might pop.
9. Finishing Touches
Finish off your DIY balloon arch with some optional foliage and fresh flowers. This will add texture and give a natural feel. You don’t have to use foliage and flowers – add other details which complement your wedding styling.
Tutorial by ProFlowers
Image and video from ProFlowers
Read more Handmade Weddings Advice articles
Read other Wedding Advice articles