The Worst Skin Care Habit You Can Have
From picking at pimples to over-washing your face, we can have many bad habits when taking care of our skin. Unfortunately, these habits can lead to major skin issues down the line if they’re not stopped and corrected – so what’s the worst one? A continuous habit that is doing long-term damage without you even realizing it? That would be failing to use sunscreen daily. Sun protection is essential for maintaining healthy, youthful skin and preventing premature aging, yet so many people don’t bother with SPF daily! In this blog post, I will go in-depth about why using sunscreen every day should be a top priority in your skincare routine and what ingredients work best for protecting your skin from sun exposure.
The skin care habits you need to stop NOW if you want clear skin
- Skipping cleansing: Cleansing is essential to healthy and clear skin, so clean your skin daily.
- Picking at blemishes: Whenever you start picking at a pimple or any other blemish on your face, you risk spreading bacteria and inflammation, which can lead to more breakouts.
- Not using sunscreen: Sun damage is one of the leading causes of premature aging and dark spots, so apply sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day — even when it’s cloudy!
- Over scrubbing: Too much physical exfoliation can strip away natural oils from the skin, cause irritation and exacerbate existing blemishes.
- Sleeping in makeup: Not only does sleeping with your makeup on increase the risk of acne, but it can also lead to premature aging and wrinkles! So make sure you always remove your makeup before hitting the sheets.
- Ignoring your neck and chest: The skin on our necks and chests is just as sensitive as our faces, so don’t forget to cleanse and moisturize these areas too.
- Not drinking enough water: Staying hydrated is essential for healthy skin, so make sure you’re drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily!
- Overdoing products: Using too many active ingredients like retinol or acids can strip away natural oils from the skin, causing irritation and breakouts. Stick to a more minimal skincare routine and use gentle products for sensitive skin.
- Not changing your pillowcases regularly: Pillowcases absorb makeup and bacteria, so it’s important to change them out every few days or opt for silk cases which won’t irritate the skin as much as cotton.
- Touching your face too much: Our hands often carry dirt, oil, and bacteria which can be transferred to our faces while touching, leading to breakouts or irritation — so try not to touch your face too often!
The number one skincare mistake you’re probably making
Sunscreen is the most important part of any skin care regimen because it helps protect your skin from sun damage and skin cancer. Make sure to use a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day, even if you don’t plan on going out in the sun. Don’t forget to reapply when you do go outside and stay in the shade as much as possible.
Another common mistake people make is over-exfoliating their skin. Exfoliating can be beneficial for your skin but only if done correctly and in moderation. Over-exfoliating can lead to dryness, irritation, inflammation, and redness so be sure to exfoliate no more than twice per week—and even then, only use a gentle scrub or exfoliating cleanser.
Finally, you should never neglect your nighttime skin care routine. This is the perfect time to give your skin some extra TLC and apply nourishing ingredients like hyaluronic acid and vitamin C. Make sure to cleanse your skin before bed and follow with a moisturizer that’s right for your skin type. Doing this will help keep your skin looking healthy and glowing!